Sunday, January 21, 2007

First Lodge meeting

After a couple weeks, I thought it was time that I go check out one of the Masonic lodges in the area that I had emailed and received a reply from. Good ol' Orient Lodge #51. The lodge building looked like it was built in the 60's or 70's and it was also home to the local Scottish Rite valley. With suit on and apron in hand, I walked in and an older lady beckoned me, to which I asked to see the name of the gentleman who replied to my request to visit.

As it turns out, it was his birthday. (I later hear in passing that he fought in the battle of the Pacific in WWII). So I meet him and the other brethren. The women in the kitchen came out and gave me a meat and potatoes plate, which I gobbled up before the lodge meeting.

The lodge room is large and also has a big stage and has oval seating for at least 250. Carpet abound, but set up like a typical lodge. It was a short meeting and I was introduced. Afterward, the secretary took me to his office and he gave me a silk Masonic tie, a lodge embroidered sweatshirt, a ritual book, and a lodge history book. I then showed him on the computer where I'm from. One of the nicest men I've ever met and was amazed at the hospitality and warm welcome.

No comments: